There are many roofing materials that work well for one-story houses, including:
1. Asphalt shingles: This is the most common roofing material in the United States due to their affordability and durability.
2. Metal roofing: Metal roofing is becoming increasingly popular due to its durability, energy efficiency, and longevity.
3. Clay and concrete tiles: These roofing materials are long-lasting and are especially popular in areas with a Mediterranean-style architecture.
4. Wood shingles or shakes: These roofing materials are typically made from cedar or redwood and give a natural, rustic look to a one-story house.
5. Slate roofing: This is a high-end roofing material that is durable, long-lasting, and adds a luxurious look to a one-story house.